The Corellian League Member Forums

• June 27, 2017, 11:46:57 AM EDT
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Catch the world premiere of "Corellian Death Worm" tonight on CTV! - Would you like to know more?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Against the Odds  (Read 4050 times)

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
  • "If we don't end war, war will end us."-H.G. Wells
    • Twitter
Against the Odds
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:56:47 AM EDT »

Against the Odds Comment Thread

Part 1: On the Streets

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:21:56 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
Re: Against the Odds
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:57:52 AM EDT »

Part 2: Changes

A little bit older now, I felt that I had the world in my hands. Although I still didn
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:22:19 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:45:49 PM EDT »

Part 3: the Mandalorians

A couple years later, around 8 BTC, the Mandalorians had returned. The news had spread across the galaxy rapidly, and tales of their destruction began to circulate. The last time the Mandalorians had risen to challenge the Republic, they had almost won. The Mandalorians Wars occurred 300 years earlier, but news of their return had developed similar fears into the hearts of civilians.

The next 2 years were considered part of what is now known as the Mandalorian Scare*. The hype developed about Mandalorians had Corellian citizens urging the Republic for defensive assistance. Within a few weeks, there were hundreds of Troopers stationed around Corellia, with the bulk of them located in Coronet City.

It was easy for me to spot them, because by that point I was 17 and had recently started to work for a small shipping company by the main docks downtown. I would never get the privilege to fly in space, but I was able to work on small ship repairs, transfer cargo, and chat with the pilots. For me, it was enough. I also got paid enough to have my own small place. It felt good to be independent.

During the middle of that year, the first of the Republic ships had arrived; large transports that took up a variety of ports in the docking area on Coronet City. It was hard for any Corellian to overlook their presence.

During my breaks I sat on a couple crates and watched as the troops filed out from the ship and walk towards the station. Like the first trooper I saw, they were all also tall, quite built, and had an impressive set of armor. What also had fascinated me was the array of weaponry: Large blaster rifles, Blaster cannons, and demolition equipment.

When I shopped for groceries later that day, I had noticed that the troopers were easy to spot in a crowd; They traveled in packs, and would walk up and down the busy streets, vigilant and ready to battle.

I tried avoiding them as much as possible. From afar they were fascinating, but up close I felt intimidated in their presence. Despite my efforts to avoid them, I wound up getting involved with them later that day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After dropping off the groceries and eating lunch, I went back to the docks for my second shift. Because of the Republic ships that continuously landed and took off, all the other loading bays were backed up. My boss urged me to work faster, so that one ship could successfully take off while another quickly took its place.

By evening, I was done with work. The last ship in my docking bay had finally left. I began walking towards the entrance of the dock, about to walk home, when I heard a loud rumbling noise behind me.

Turning around, I noticed a small dark ship that began to dock in my cargobay. After hovering over the ground for a bit, It touched down on the floor with a bang and the engines were cut off. Frustrated, I walked in the direction of ship.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:22:59 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:59:24 PM EDT »

Part 4: "Basic" Training.

If you corner a drunken trooper off duty, at some point he probably would jokingly tell you that war is hell, but basic training is worse. This I
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:23:40 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:10 PM EDT »

Part 5: Adira Zaine

After RTS, it wasn
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:24:08 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:39:34 PM EDT »

Part 6: Turkish

Although the desert was a place that demanded respect towards all living things, it was not always seen like that by everyone. Sometimes, you are faced with a situation that can be overwhelming and unexpected. Tatooine after all, was a dangerous place. It inspires you to be constantly looking over your shoulder, just to make sure no one was pointing a blaster at your head and trying to rob you at gunpoint.

One of my more interesting experiences out in the desert occurred two years later, while still stationed on Tatooine.  By then, I had been all around the planet, and even got to work a bit in some of the larger cities like Bestine and Mos Eisley. From time to time I would take a speeder out to the remote village where I was first stationed, to visit Adira. I was starting to feel a strong connection to her, as she always managed to brighten my day or inspire me to work harder.

I was out on patrol with another trooper one afternoon when we spotted something in the distance, way out in the desert expanse. We were on a large sand dune that overlooked the city of Mos Eisley, and were on patrol to make sure the Sand People weren
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:24:51 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:51:02 PM EDT »

Part 7: Desert Power

It was good that I had decided to apply for the Vanguard program; the time to act was now, more than ever, needed. With the Treaty of Coruscant, the Republic sighed a breath of relief. Open war, it seemed, would not come any time soon. The cost of peace though, was unfair, and we heard the reports of the surprise attack conducted by the Sith Empire on Aldaraan. Their surprise attack weakened, but did not outright destroy the Republic Spirit; there was still hope.

But, a year or so before I transferred off Tatooine, there was still one more thing to be done, one more event that had mentally and spiritually prepared me to take on the challenges of becoming a full fledged Vanguard, and had gotten me through my first real battle.

As I was waiting for my application to get through, I still was conducting my daily duties across Tatooine. After spending a few years on that desert planet, I had learned so much from a variety of people. I was grateful for being stationed there. It wasn
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:25:26 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 09:56:03 PM EDT »

Part 8: The Enemy

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:26:38 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 09:34:49 PM EDT »

Part 9: Heroes

As if death himself was approaching our doorstep, the Imperials made their way down the field and closer to our trenches. With the lights turned off and as the troopers ducked down, the trenches, as well as the mist, became excellent cover. It was successful in hiding the entire battalion. We heard some of the Imperials shout out, as they pointed out our destroyed and lifeless towers.

Unaware that they didn
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:27:11 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 09:48:05 PM EDT »

Part 10: The Undercity

The campaign on Quesh was the most gruesome in my career. I had participated in a few major battles, but was ultimately rotated out and stationed to another planet, this time, on Taris.

War wasn
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:27:58 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 01:41:11 AM EDT »

Part 11: Slavers

The first thing I noticed was the air.

It was thick and heavy. It slowly swirled around us, smothering the survivors and their trooper guides. In the time I had been stationed on Taris, people always spoke of what they assumed about the Undercity,  but only few would truly be able to depict it accurately.

It was dark all around us, and the only way we were able to see was through the reliance of our gun and helmet lights. If I had to describe the darkness and what it seemed to represent for me, I
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:28:40 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:48:18 AM EDT »

Part 12: Worth Your Salt

Without a moment
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:29:30 PM EDT by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 01:50:54 AM EDT »

Part 13: Welcome to Hoth

In just one moment, everything can change. For a trooper, this has always been true.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:32:23 PM EST by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 12:39:44 PM EST »

Part 14: Miracle-Worker

It was past sunset and the temperature had dropped sharply, but we arrived at the camp. A medical team was on stand-by, and rushed out to treat the wounded. I was going to pass Kerrick to a medic, but he glared at him and insisted on walking himself to the med-center.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:14:58 PM EST by Sparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 06:26:36 PM EDT »

Part 15: Outpost 6

The short man with a sharp tongue turned to face me, this time it was his turn to be shocked.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:38:54 PM EDT by Amasro Harper »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 22 queries.