The Corellian League Member Forums

• June 22, 2017, 08:01:36 AM EDT
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit The Corellian League Gift Store to purchase your Official T-Shirt! Support the leauge, support The Republic!  While supplies last!
SHOP NOW!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Progressive Ops Review  (Read 22535 times)

Weril Berdon

• Operations Commander
  • Council Member
  • Shoot first, shoot last.
Progressive Ops Review
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:55:42 PM EDT »

Hey guys.  We've been able to get a few runs of the HM Scum and Villany and the HM Terror From Beyond under our belt so I thought it was time to put this thread up.  This is going to be an open discussion for the progression ops that we're running.  What's going right, what we're getting hung up on, and ideas about how to get past the stuff we're getting hung up on.  If there's a certain fight or mechanic that keeps beating you down, post up and we'll try to figure out a way to get you through.

Most likely the op leaders will start out by posting a quick rundown of what happened in the previous progression op and give their impressions but if you have any comments about it feel free to post up.  There will be posts both praising and criticizing so lets keep this thread mature folks.  No arguing, insults, or nitpicking.  If you're criticizing something or someone, keep it constructive and suggest ways to improve the situation or I'll drop a bag of bricks on you.

Here are the guides that are currently up on dulfy.net:

Terror From Beyond

Scum & Villainy

I'll start out by saying that I have been extremely impressed so far.  My Tuesday group has gotten up to Dread Master Styrak on S&V and have gotten quite a few pulls on him.  Even got him down to 10% after dropping the dog the second time.  Nice job guys.  We're starting to get the mechanics down so now we just got to push through that last 10%.

I know that the Saturday crew has gotten through TFB up to the Terror.  Congrats on that guys, but as I wasn't there I'll leave the details of your guys runs to someone that was.  None the less, I am extremely proud of you guys.  Keep it up and we may be running nightmare ops in the near future.
<br />opcomm_glassmaker opcomm_tarnishedsoul<br />
<br />That guy, nuckin\' futz.<br />     Weril Berdon Backstory - Weril Berdon ChroniclesWeril Berdon\'s Gear

Jaylor

• Maybe it's because I'm Irish...
Re: Progressive Ops Review
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:41:22 AM EDT »

You mean 16 mans?... men... mans... meh whatever... ;D i think that the tuesday group needs to work on the first fight to get more time for the otherones... if this has changed since i have been gone then good... if not then that is my sugestion....

You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Nethrisa Ancalme

• I'm not just a pretty face...
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 12:35:52 PM EDT »

Last night we one-shotted all of the bosses in TFB, except for TFB herself. Due to Pendor's FPS issues/lag, I had to call the Op early, after about three or four pulls.

-The Writhing Horror and the Dread Guard went as expected.

-Op IX was a bit sloppy, but we succeeded...barely.
        -We still need to work on DPSing down those cubes.
        -Situation awareness has been one of our killers; in phase two, Color Deletion Protocol needs to be stopped, this has been something that has killed us on multiple occasions. An example from yesterday's run would be: (I think it was) Gerglid was called with blue, and Cymstar didn't quite make it to him on time. Instances like this should be limited, if not eliminated enitrely. Another example would be from the previous week: I didn't move when I had it on me, and there were three people around me of the wrong colors; all four of us died.

-On Kephess, we still need to work on getting those orbs down, as well as directing that blast at the tower ASAP.
        -Second phase went almost perfectly.

-TFB's adds need to be killed ASAP, but we haven't gotten further than that.
opcomm_sunflare  camp_lses
wb_alderaan wb_belsavis wb_coruscant wb_narshaddaa wb_taris_1

Fighting me is like the flip of a coin, Heads: I live and you die, Tails: you die and I live.

Pendor

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 01:52:54 PM EDT »

I agree with Nethrisa's assessment on all of the above issues. I think Jamion and I have said it before, but the tanks and the healers are basically doing everything we can in the Op IX battle. There's not much more we're going to be able to get done.

Another point I would make is that we need to get the regulator off me when we enter purple phase. Often, he's still on me and if I miss one of his End Line abilities for whatever reason, he stuns me and knocks me out of the center, meaning we have to restart the channel.

Obviously my fps/lag issues were not ideal, and I'm actually surprised we managed to get through all the bosses in one go with those issues. I think the issue is temporary. I was having issues in all my games as well as in streaming videos after the op was called. I think a combination of rain, which deterred people from going to the library, and it being finals week, so everyone is on their computers watching videos while they study, over burdened the campus wifi. It got better when I was on at like 1:30 am, so that seems to support the theory.

The lag issues got compounded with the add issues on the terror. Not only were the adds not appearing for me, so I couldn't avoid them, they were getting to me, so I had to run not sure if I was running in the right direction. Those adds need to die. FAST. I don't know how often we were listening to Jamion go "oh my god, run away, run away." That should not be happening.

Weril Berdon

• Operations Commander
  • Council Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 06:34:00 PM EDT »

You mean 16 mans?... men... mans... meh whatever... ;D i think that the tuesday group needs to work on the first fight to get more time for the otherones... if this has changed since i have been gone then good... if not then that is my sugestion....

The last Tue. op run we actually one shotted Dash'roode and we had about 6 pulls on Styrak before we had to call it due to time.  It does make a difference.

-We still need to work on DPSing down those cubes.

Those adds need to die. FAST. I don't know how often we were listening to Jamion go "oh my god, run away, run away." That should not be happening.

Is this a rotation or gear thing?  Looking at your line up you shouldn't have too many issues with dps aside from Cymstar needing some gear.  Jamion was going over what he needs with him last night after the op.  Maybe having everyone learn a bursty spec for fights with lots of adds is something we can think about. 
<br />That guy, nuckin\' futz.<br />     Weril Berdon Backstory - Weril Berdon ChroniclesWeril Berdon\'s Gear

Nethrisa Ancalme

• My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:44:56 PM EDT »

Is this a rotation or gear thing?  Looking at your line up you shouldn't have too many issues with dps aside from Cymstar needing some gear.  Jamion was going over what he needs with him last night after the op.  Maybe having everyone learn a bursty spec for fights with lots of adds is something we can think about. 

I think that it is both. Cymstar needs a lot of gear, I don't know what gear Trent has, and with Gerglid in that spot we have THREE non-burst people in that fight. Both Gerglid and Cymstar are using Balance (Force-In-Balance doesn't affect the cores), and Turukano is in Watchman, which isn't bad, but Combat would be better for every fight in TFB other than The Writhing Horror (he could even use Focus in all fights other than Writhing Horror and Op IX).

Fighting me is like the flip of a coin, Heads: I live and you die, Tails: you die and I live.

Jevarrik Ta'Karn

• TCL Commander
  • Council Member
  • Forum Champion
  • Seeker of Truth - Keeper of Secrets
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:11 PM EDT »

Jeva's Log:  05/13/2014 - Hard Mode Scum and Villainy (Hard Mode)

This operation was a bit of a roller coaster ride.  It started as a step in the wrong direction as it took two attempts to beat each of the first three bosses when last week we one-shot our way to Dread Master Styrak.  However, we did manage to catch up achieving one-shot victories over The Operations Chief, Olok the Shadow, and the Cartel War Lords giving us time for just three pulls on Dread Master Styrak.

Against the dread master we achieved a new best, downing him to 2%, however he did enrage around 11%.  This again, is where our mettle is really tested.  We show challenges in two main areas, mechanics/discipline and DPS.

DPS:  Styrak requires very tight DPS as his enrage timer is very tight.  On average, everytime he comes down we should ideally be putting him down by 25%.  In our first two attempts, we averaged 15-18% per attempt.  In addition, we had difficulty taking down the Styrak Projection phase with the walls closing in on us.  However on our final pull we were able to get him down by 26% on his first arrival.  We then all died due to some position by certain members of our team...  lead-into challenge number two.  In general, we need to find a way to more seamlessly align/transition our mechanics and DPS to apply maximum DPS at every window of boss vulnerability.

Mechanics:  Mechanics is a tricky problem.  While causing direct wipes, it also seems to be a huge contributing factor in our DPS ability to maintain sufficient damage over time to beat Styrak (or any other boss for that matter).  Some of this is heads up play, and some of it is muscle memory.  We will for sure need to continue to work on this.  All of our DPS can pull 2500-3000 DPS (3000+ in some cases) against a dummy.  We just need to work in mechanics as a function of that DPS to keep it up.

*Mechanics Suggestion...  While beating on ship dummies, have somebody in teamspeak call out randomly for you to watch your feet and or kill an add (count to 6 or 12).

At any rate, we are making progress and showed real promise on our last pull.  I'm confident that if we one-shot everybody leading to the dread master next week, we will be able to down him.  No Matter the Odds!

Specialization: Seer/Healer
PvE Operations Gear
opcomm_glassmaker event_infected opcomm_tarnishedsoul
wb_alderaan wb_belsavis wb_coruscant wb_hoth_2 wb_narshaddaa wb_quesh wb_taris_1 wb_tatooine

Weril Berdon

• Operations Commander
  • Council Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 05:55:50 PM EDT »

I gotta say that I was pretty happy with the mechanics execution on the Styrak fight (until the last pull  :(( ).  One thing i noticed during the fight is that if we save our adrenals for the ACTUAL Styrak and not the dog or ghosts the dps on him seems to actually get in line with what we are looking for.  Maybe if we save them for that part only and think about staggering who uses them we can make things a bit easier on us. 

Also, two general comments.

One, Judas my friend, you really need to keep an eye on pulling off the tank.  There were a couple times that my heart nearly jumped out of my chest and did a little jig on my desk when you pulled off of Jamion at the outset of the fight.  Plus screaming "HELP!" over TS over and over was not making the situation any better. 

And two, we need to start getting Thycus in some 180 gear.  Took a quick look at it after the op and I think he has maybe one piece of 180 gear in there with the rest 168 (unless I missed something).  Combining that with pushing to master the commando rotation that he, Jaylor, and Trent are working on in a separate thread (kudos on that by the way) and he will be dropping some awesome parses.

Jaylor

• Maybe it's because I'm Irish...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 12:13:18 AM EDT »

I actually have his gear written down in the same book as my rotation, btw im not near a computer for a while so it will be some time before i post it and i am NOT typing it on my phone... sry guys, but at any rate i have been working with him before my break so it may be a little out of date... but i will try to get him up there when i get back, Trent you are more than welcome to join us if you wish ;D

Which brings me to my next point, apparently there was some miscommunication between my brother and me... i was under the impression that judas was going to be done at the end of june... apparently that will be the end of july :(... so jeva, i am asking, if i can get jaylor some decent healing gear,  and since he has two days, may i take zebs tuesday spot  at the end of june?

You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Ghanikavhett Sheteshoy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:50:58 AM EDT »

Jaylor--- if you're looking to get into healing gear/slots, you'll probably want to spend some time with your good friend Ghanik..... BEFORE trying to just jump in. Ammo management ain't quite the same as it used to be

Weril Berdon

• Operations Commander
  • Council Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 06:59:29 AM EDT »

Good news guys.  Saturday night crew cleared HM TFB!

Gratz to everyone that ran it and keep up the good work!

Nethrisa Ancalme

• My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 08:07:08 AM EDT »

With the expected trouble on Op IX when bringing in a new person, and then working through TFB, Last nights run went pretty well. We one shot every other boss.

First Phase:
As long as the adds are top priority and the tentacles die simultaneously the first phase isn't a problem.

Second Phase:
We had to throw a second DPS to be on top of the anomalies; this is due to the time it takes to get from one side to the other.
Tentacle numbers were called perfectly.
Still need to work a bit on getting irregularities down faster.

GUILD FIRST!!!!!!!
TFB IS DEAD!!!!!!!

After going through the entire Op, I still think Op IX is the hardest boss.

Tuesday Team:
If you can get past Op IX, I see no reason why it should take you more than a couple of weeks to down TFB. Two weeks ago was our first downing of both Op IX and Kephess.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:17:41 AM EDT by Nethrisa Ancalme »

Jurneth Creek/Lord Olrac

• Tactical Response Commander
  • Council Member
  • Forum Champion
  • Known Troubleshooter
    • The Butcher Boards
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 01:18:06 PM EDT »

Congratulations guys.

cdr_opcomm_tarnishedsoul cdr_opcomm_sunflare
wb_alderaan wb_coruscant wb_quesh wb_taris_1 wb_tatooine

Giant Lizard Puppy

Pendor

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 12:53:47 AM EDT »

I agree with Nethrisa that Op IX is going to be our hardest challenge. It's extremely mechanics heavy and has a tight timer for getting the cubes down. I would add to the Terror a few things I noticed:

1. We kept getting water larvae popping up just as the tentacles were coming down which made dodging birthed larvae much more difficult. I don't know what the best solution is to this as it happened consistently.

2. Situational awareness of where the birthed larvae are is going to be key. We had a few people get spotted every time.

3. Tanks (Jamion and I) both need to do some more work on the phase 2 mechanics. Jamion did a fantastic job of getting back to his home platform on time, but he ended up miscounting the hits a number of times resulting in spit landing on his main tank platform. I, on the other hand, did pretty well with counting hits and dealing with spit, but I had issues getting to home after spit. For some reason jumping off the platform I'm on doesn't seem to want to return me home. It keeps spitting me out on nearby platforms. I need to find a faster way to get back as I'm normally cutting it pretty close to when I need to taunt off Jamion.

Other than the obvious Op IX difficulties which we've had every time (not getting cubes down fast enough, people getting killed during deletion protocol, etc.) I think things went pretty well.

And of course, congrats everyone! WE DID IT!!!!!!!

Nethrisa Ancalme

• My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:14 PM EDT »

About the jumping off the platform, have you tried jumping toward the Terror? It may take a while to figure out exactly where you need to jump.

If the jumping off doesn't work, then you may have to immediately start moving toward home manually.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 21 queries.