The Corellian League Member Forums

• June 28, 2017, 04:57:14 AM EDT
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Is that old blaster not punching holes in armor like it should? Visit KrypTec Armory for an upgrade! Tell them, "Kell sent me", and all of your wildest dreams will come true.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Trap (Closed RP)" Discussion Thread  (Read 42969 times)

Ceid Ankoun

• Lore Master
  • Council Member
  • Forum Champion
  • No Peace. Only Pieces.
"The Trap (Closed RP)" Discussion Thread
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:03:19 PM EDT »

Thread:  The Trap (Closed RP)

Setting: Corellian Space - Aboard an Imperial ship behind the dark side of the planet Soronia - 10 ATC - 3 months before the start of the game.

Background about the Battlecruiser The Tobba:

The ship "Tobba" was a Battlecruiser Class Imperial Vessel. These Sith Battlecruisers seem to have been the most numerous capital ships used by the Sith Navy during the Great Galactic War of 3,681 BBY and the Cold War between the Sith Empire and Old Republic that followed in 3,653 BBY.

The battlecruiser design was first developed under the supervision of the Sith Empire's first Grand Moff, Odile Vaiken, in the decades after the Empire's establishment on the planet Dromund Kaas. The first ships were assembled in orbital shipyards while Vaiken plotted his build-up and estimated that they and the rest of the military would not reach their goals of challenging the Republic within his lifetime. Ships of this kind participated in the Great Galactic War, culminating in the Sacking of Coruscant and the bombardment of the surface of the city-planet, during the Great Galactic War.

Background about the planet Soronia:

The planet of Soronia is the planet furthest from the Corellian Sun, Corell. It consists of nothing but ice and rock. However, despite its barren appearance, there are extensive mining facilities stretching underneath its surface.

Background about the RP:

The Corellian League Council have had their network of spies within Imperial ranks for some time. These operatives provide them with intel. on the movements of Imperial forces within the Corellian sector and other neighboring systems. One of their most important operatives, whose identity is only know by the highest levels of the League's leadership, dropped out of contact a few months back, and they were unable to find a trace of him until now.

They received a signal with his personal transmission codes embedded within it. The Council was able to trace the signal to a derelict Imp. ship, The Tobba, holding position behind the dark side of the planet Soronia in Corellian Space. They were unable to ascertain how it got there without the Corellian Boarder Sensors picking it up and they decided to send a team to investigate.

Characters involved:

Quyn Vigil (Human-Female) Smuggler Scoundrel (In charge of the mission)
Ceid Ankoun (Human-Male) Jedi Consular Sage (Lead of boarding party)
Loyheta Vassik (Zabrak-Male) Trooper Vanguard
Nysa Mayne (Human-Female) Jedi Consular Shadow
Amasro Harper (Human-Male) Trooper Commando
Celadon Vohl (Zabrak-Male) Jedi Knight Guardian
Saron Noko (Human/Echani-Male) Jedi Knight Guardian

Posting Order:
1. Quyn Vigil
2. ConsularPride
3. Saron Noko
4. Nysa
5. Loyheta
6. HMSSparrow
7. Celadon Vohl

Posting Order During Scenes:

Group 1:                   Group 2:                   Group 3:
1. ConsularPride          1. HMSSparrow           1. Quyn Vigil
2. Nysa                     2. Celadon Vohl           2. Saron Noko
3. Loyheta
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:25:35 AM EDT by Pride »

Ceid Ankoun

• Lore Master
  • Council Member
  • Forum Champion
  • No Peace. Only Pieces.
Re: "The Trap" Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 06:03:28 PM EDT »

Hey guys, this thread was made so we can discuss things more easily, I am tired of PMs.

We have 4 things to discuss.

1. The title of the RP.
2. Posting order.
3. Post size.
4. Duration of the trap.

First, the title. I called it The Trap for now as a place holder. We have a few options. The Trap, Hyperspace Trap, Hyperspace, Trapped in Hyperspace and if we are feeling funny, we can always do the Akbar thing... IT'S A TRAP!  :D

Posting order was brought up by a few of you. We have three options.

A) Ordered turns. This is simple, we have a list of names in an order that says who's turn to post.
      B) Random. This is the most used, and the most chaotic. I don't personally like it, but majority rules.
      C)Scenes. This one fits nicely with our story since we split up. It is essentially like choice A, however, it is split into scenes, when the bridge team are on their way to the bridge for example, only whoever is part of that team posts. So if Loy, Nysa and I separate, No one should interrupt us until we leave our part of the story in a cliffhanger. Then it would be the armory team's turn, no one would interrupt them and so on. Rules should be set so no one group would take over and post 4-5 pages before giving a chance for the other group. Might need your help making these rules if we choose option C.

Length of each post. No restrictions here, but be considerate. Don't post a book as an entry. I personally like page long posts though.  :D this is also open for discussion.

Lastly, the duration of the actual trip in Hyperspace. I was hoping to stretch this out, making it a little version of Stargate Universe. But if you guys do not want to drag it and explore all what the massive ship has to offer, then we will speed up to the destination. Like I said, majority rules.

Participants are Loyhetta, Nysa, Quyn, Sparrow, Celadon and Ceid. All of your opinions matter.

This is a personal journey for Ceid and at the end, a revelation about a person from his past shakes his world to the core again. I would be happy if it becomes one for you too. A chance to grow and develop, make or brake relationships. And grab some nice loot at the end that we can have our characters use in other RPs or chronicles.

Let the mayha... err discussion begin.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:54:27 AM EDT by Pride »

Loyheta

• Forum Champion
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
    • Swtor.com profile - add me :)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:17 PM EDT »

I would like a title like 'The Ambush'. I would like Scene posting set-up. Also you should kick out this Loyhetta guy and invite me.

Graeff

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 08:10:54 PM EDT »

I would like a title like 'The Ambush'. I would like Scene posting set-up. Also you should kick out this Loyhetta guy and invite me.

Yeah he sounds like an arse hole. :P *runs*

Loyheta

• Forum Champion
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 01:10:32 AM EDT »

Yeah he sounds like an arse hole. :P *runs*

He'd probably break young boys into pieces.

Ceid Ankoun

• Lore Master
  • Council Member
  • Forum Champion
  • No Peace. Only Pieces.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:16:55 AM EDT »

Just a spelling mistake, Loyheta*

Back on topic. It is not an ambush though, even if the word is cooler lol. It is a trap.

Trap

Noun: A device or enclosure designed to catch and retain animals, typically by allowing entry.

Ambush

Noun: A surprise attack by people lying in wait in a concealed position.

Scenes would be good, I prefer it myself. How long should each scene be? a page long? 5 posts long? 2 posts per group member?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:19:02 AM EDT by ConsularPride »

Celadon Vohl

• X-Patriots
  • Do not judge, for the Light comes in many colors
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 07:27:23 PM EDT »

I like Ackbar. I like "It's A Trap."

I like your recommendations. Scenes work for me....it also seems ordered and less random...which is good.

Also we shouldn't limit the duration of the post. I have scene people on these boards do great things with just a few paragraphs and others with pages. Let's not limit creativity.

As for duration, I think that a hyperspace jump is a finite amount of time. I think that if we should set a finite amount of posts for the hyperspace jump and if we like what we are doing, we can continue from there. If we don't, then we can conclude it. It has to be a unanimous vote though.

For instance:

Act I: Hyperspace Jump
Act II: Ambush
etc.

opcomm_glassmaker opcomm_tarnishedsoul
wb_alderaan wb_coruscant wb_narshaddaa wb_tatooine

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
  • "If we don't end war, war will end us."-H.G. Wells
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:27:57 PM EDT »

Just a spelling mistake, Loyheta*
Scenes would be good, I prefer it myself. How long should each scene be? a page long? 5 posts long? 2 posts per group member?

Although I do enjoy the idea of having turns and potentially having whole scenes, having a strict posting number per person and scene seems to limit the story imo.

I don't wait to wait forever to post if a particular scene is taking too long, but I don't want to limit the scene either. IF there is rich and relevant dialogue/actions to be had, having a strict amount might either "trim the fat" which is good, or force writers to speed up their storytelling

Probably its because I like posting lengthy pages, I am for this :P

Although it may seem chaotic, I feel it would also be appropriate to have moments where we cut back and forth between scenes. This gives it a definite storytelling/movie-ish quality.

For example, in tense moments of the story "Hope this works...." then immediately cutting back to the other team. Definitely builds suspense. Otherwise, if we wait too long, something in one scene will be forced to be brought up in a lengthly post in the other person's perspective.

ex.-Sparrow sets a charge and blows down a security door. Scene continues for a few more posts, then when you switch to another scene (a lot later) they mention feeling the explosion throughout the ship. Its interesting, but would draw back too far to have to refernce in between scenes. So (moderate) jumping back and forth (between scenes) hopefully is somewhat considered. Obviously if its used too much the posting order and scenes will get chaotic.

"It's a Trap!" also has my vote :) little cliche, but I think it works for me. (way to go Captain obvious, I mean Admiral Akbar, OF COURSE its a trap....

Side note: Akbar is arabic. Just like the word Malak.

As for how long we experience the trap, I think It should continue for as long as the group is separated. In other words, Sparrow's team down below the ship struggling to get to the bridge, while the people on the bridge frantically access their terminals to get them up there.

Once we all get up there, we try to piece the mystery together (yada yada yada) and as if our question is partially explained, we suddenly drop out of hyperspace, and see our new objective, we seek further answer, to get to the bottom of it and know whos specifically responsible blah blah blah it works out.

Also might suggest having some setbacks, so escaping/warping back to our old location wont be easy, to lengthen the story

Quyn Vigil

• X-Patriots
  • well behaved women seldom make history
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 07:31:58 PM EDT »

Scenes sounds like a good idea all around, though someone may have to poke me from time to time when it's my turn, since I believe I will be sitting on the ship by myself during a majority of it except maybe for comm communication.
Evil talks a lot

Ceid Ankoun

• Lore Master
  • Council Member
  • Forum Champion
  • No Peace. Only Pieces.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 08:01:29 PM EDT »

For example, in tense moments of the story "Hope this works...." then immediately cutting back to the other team. Definitely builds suspense. Otherwise, if we wait too long, something in one scene will be forced to be brought up in a lengthly post in the other person's perspective.

That is exactly what I am saying, we leave our part of the story in a cliffhanger, then switch the scene.

Akbar is Arabic, Malak means angle, Akbar means bigger or greater. When they say Allahu Akbar, it means God is greater. Which is what most mainstream religions say, or at least something similar.

Back on topic, For the title, Celadon and Sparrow want "It's a Trap". I cast my vote for "The Trap". Loy voted for "Ambush". (I do not know if he wants to change it, but that is it for now). 2 more votes to go.

For instance:

Act I: Hyperspace Jump
Act II: Ambush
etc.

I like that! We'll use the Act system as well. Wont be too noticeable of a change.

For the Scene length. I will assume the role of Director. I will control when the scene ends and who to give the turn to. I think that would work, and it would solve the problem of run-on scenes. And that is if you guys have no objections.

Scenes sounds like a good idea all around, though someone may have to poke me from time to time when it's my turn, since I believe I will be sitting on the ship by myself during a majority of it except maybe for comm communication.

Indeed ^_^. You will have your own scenes of sweet piloting and trying to open a com link with the boarding team. You might even succeed in getting on board. We will see.

This is turning into a movie lol.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:15:14 PM EDT by ConsularPride »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 08:10:44 PM EDT »

I agree. So scenes and acts then :P

If you modify the vowels on the 3 root words of Malak (the meem, laam and kaf) you also get Maluka, which is King in Arabic.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:13:58 PM EDT by HMSSparrow »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:22:45 PM EDT »

I also have another question I'd like to ask/bring up.

I've done RP's online before (although not necessarily with SW or with this guild). And I've adopted some stuff I've done in those forums with some RP's I'm doing here.

In my current RP Last Hope, if you read the comments thread, it will also explain this.

Essentially, one modification that I'd like to suggest (although if everyone hates it, then thats totally fine too) is dialogue. Over the years of doing RP in forum related settings, I know how waiting on some people to post can be torturous, considering people take their time to post a reply.

Whats worse, especially if theres only supposed to be a few people in a given scene, you have to rely on others to wait and take their turns.

What I have done in the past, is combined dialogue, and have agreement with players to write out their parts. What do i mean by this? I mean, when you post, writing their dialogue within your own post.

I KNOW we agreed on taking turns, and I'm assuming we're all avid posters and the RP will run smoothly. Oftentimes if theres small chit chat dialogue, and waiting on people to post a response may be annoying.

There is also the concern among players whether or not people would be ABLE to post "in character" as other characters. Writing out someone else's dialogue may potentially lead to making others seem dumber (thus boosting your character up and leading the discussions) or might say something out of personal ethical boundaries.

Usually when I do shared dialogue, we FIRST get the consent from the other player, then try to (as best as we can) explain more of our characters and try to have other RP players know how to effectively write for our characters within their post.

If you look at my RP Last Hope, you can see how some shared dialogue works.

If ya'll are gonna be traditional and strict with this RP then disregard this suggestion. It was just something to bring up

Ceid Ankoun

• Lore Master
  • Council Member
  • Forum Champion
  • No Peace. Only Pieces.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 08:35:07 PM EDT »

I have no problem with that as long as it is not happening every post, (Give the change for your partner to post something, unless it is a small line or a quick comment.) also you must have their consent and they should control what their character would say.

Loyheta

• Forum Champion
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 08:38:52 PM EDT »

If you modify the vowels on the 3 root words of Malak (the meem, laam and kaf) you also get Maluka, which is King in Arabic.

...what? ....... why.... what?

I also have another question I'd like to ask/bring up.

I've done RP's online before (although not necessarily with SW or with this guild). And I've adopted some stuff I've done in those forums with some RP's I'm doing here.

In my current RP Last Hope, if you read the comments thread, it will also explain this.

Essentially, one modification that I'd like to suggest (although if everyone hates it, then thats totally fine too) is dialogue. Over the years of doing RP in forum related settings, I know how waiting on some people to post can be torturous, considering people take their time to post a reply.

Whats worse, especially if theres only supposed to be a few people in a given scene, you have to rely on others to wait and take their turns.

What I have done in the past, is combined dialogue, and have agreement with players to write out their parts. What do i mean by this? I mean, when you post, writing their dialogue within your own post.

I KNOW we agreed on taking turns, and I'm assuming we're all avid posters and the RP will run smoothly. Oftentimes if theres small chit chat dialogue, and waiting on people to post a response may be annoying.

There is also the concern among players whether or not people would be ABLE to post "in character" as other characters. Writing out someone else's dialogue may potentially lead to making others seem dumber (thus boosting your character up and leading the discussions) or might say something out of personal ethical boundaries.

Usually when I do shared dialogue, we FIRST get the consent from the other player, then try to (as best as we can) explain more of our characters and try to have other RP players know how to effectively write for our characters within their post.

If you look at my RP Last Hope, you can see how some shared dialogue works.

If ya'll are gonna be traditional and strict with this RP then disregard this suggestion. It was just something to bring up

Yeah I have seen you post multiple times in a row...okay I stand corrected... posting sequentially on RP threads is the only place you don't repeatedly post in a row. 
No one is posting for me.... I do not like other people controlling my character...

Only think I don't like when dealing with RPing with numerous people is people constantly reposting. I'll read all the current dialogue then start typing and when I try to post suddenly there is one or two new posts that change the scene making my post void.

If you didn't have internet or forum access at your work you wouldn't be posting as much and you wouldn't be as impatient. When someone is on the forums 12+hrs a day ... yeah I bet they get bored.... you can't get mad at other people for not having a job that allows them to screw around on the internet all day.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:58:00 PM EDT by Loyheta »

Amasro Harper

• X-Patriots
  • Forum Champion
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 08:41:48 PM EDT »

I have no problem with that as long as it is not happening every post, (Give the change for your partner to post something, unless it is a small line or a quick comment.) also you must have their consent and they should control what their character would say.

Yea exactly. Just quick dialogue to move the story along.

Essentially if we did shared dialogue correctly, we would need:

-the player's consent
-the player's further explanation of the character

to create realistic dialogue. IF we wait to get consent PER dialogue line, then it defeats the purpose of shared dialogue. Might as well wait for them to post.

Once each character is fully understood and gotten consent by the player, then ideally a given player should be able to post dialogue for another person within their post and it SHOULD ideally be in character.

Via comment thread of the RP, we can make confirmations for shared dialogue between certain players OR object if a certain dialgue was wayyyy out of character.

WITH THAT SAID:

I am very much willing to give consent to ANY players within this RP to write dialogue for my character when necessary :)

Before doing so though, if players can send me a PM so we can discuss authenticating the character dialogue, then that initially clarification/discussion should have everyone set for future posting regarding my character and shared dialogue :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36   Go Up

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 22 queries.